Friday, May 9, 2008

Mouse house

There's a mouse in the kitchen and he's not shy, he's militant - a militant mouse. I've seen him three or four times and just then, when getting a drink, I heard a rustle behind the bins. I abandoned the drink.

In different circumstances I'd be looking into another cat around about now. But what with the greyhound, that's not really an option anymore. That dog's very glamorous but now I'm thinking 'What use is she?'. Do greyhounds chase mice? They chase small furry things - maybe I should give it a try.

Al says he's going to put traps out. I'm opposed to this on principle but it's not inconceivable that one day I may need to use the kitchen, and that's not going to happen unless the critter moves on. He's militant, and so he might need more than a friendly suggestion. I think it is time for force - a justified war.

My golly, I'm scared of mice.

8 comments:

Ariane said...

I hope yours is a less worthy foe than the last lot of mice we had. My principles extend to not poisoning them, but I was ok with the traps from the start. Unfortunately they never caught a mouse and we ended up with a veritable plague. I had to discard the principles.

Anonymous said...

Release the hounds!

Anonymous said...

Last mouse we had was resistant to traps (all seven hundred of them the Bloke left around the house) and the poison (the mice these days are resistant to the standards poisons you get in the supermarket). Basically we just put all the food in really air tight containers or in the fridge, wiped down any surface we were about to use for food preparation, and waited. Eventually he got bored with us.

What with a child who moves around and tastes things, I'd probably leave the traps and poisons these days. Plug up any holes you can find where they might be getting in though.

Suse said...

It's like reading my own blog.

Mice rustling in the bins and pantry, and a glamorous yet totally useless greyhound who shows no interest in chasing ANYTHING.

meggie said...

I am not a bit afraid of mice. I am deadly afraid of the diseases they can give children from their indiscriminate peeing & pooping all over any surface they contact. Use poisons or traps, but please ensure there are no mice to endanger the children.

Anonymous said...

Try this: http://glass.typepad.com/journal/2005/09/how_to_catch_a_.html

Actually I am sure the Internet is full of ways to humanely trap mice.

Kris said...

Wow - you guys are war-mongers! But yes, we are upping the ante. Outside, the are fine, and with chooks we know we;re going to get the rodents. But inside - well, that's just disrespectful!

Suse, our greyhound spends most of her time lolling romantically under my muslin curtains about begging my to by her a chaise lounge.

Anonymous said...

nah, wrong kind of dog, you need mini foxy!

borrow one, it'll scare thwe mouse to death...